Hillbark History: SALE OF FRANKBY LAND
PERIOD COVERED 1847 to 1868
The land on which the current Hillbark House now stands was once owned by a gentleman of West Kirby named Bryan John Robin. Find out more about how it came into the possession of the Royden family.
After Thomas Royden founded his famous shipbuilding firm in Liverpool, he began to buy up parcels of land in Frankby to form the Royden estate. He built the magnificent Frankby Hall in 1847 and carried on acquiring land to enlarge the estate.
In 1819 a wealthy merchant came to West Kirby from Jersey and purchased the Lordship of Frankby, along with a great deal of land. The Robin family were to become key figures in the history of West Kirby but John himself died in 1855, and various bits of his estate were sold off during the next ten years.
The land on which Hillbark Hotel now stands was sold on 14th November 1865 to Mr Thomas Royden of Messrs. Royden and Son, Shipbuilders, Baffin Street, Liverpool for the princely sum of £430.
The Conveyance of that date describes the purchase :
CONVEYANCE of a parcel of land in the Township of Frankby
Which is bounded on the South side by the main road from Frankby to Caldy, on the North side by a road five yards wide, on the West side by land now or formerly belonging to Thomas Pownall and partly by land belonging to John Robin, and on the East side by land now or formerly belonging to John Jones.